This year, Inaugural balls aren’t on the docket – in fact, we’ll be heading out of town for a few well deserved family vacation days. Wherever you are on the political spectrum, inaugurations are quite the happening in Washington, DC and while part of me is curious about how this one will go, part of me is happy to observe from afar.
I read somewhere once that DC loves inauguration time so much that because for a few days every four years, we feel like the center of all that’s happening, kind of like Oscars for political nerds. It’s a time when DC lights up with all sorts of parties and events and just about every news camera in the country is angled this way. It’s a fun time.
This year, as I mentioned we won’t be here but if we were, I had a bit of fun dreaming up what I might wear (or be inspired to wear). I gravitated to a lot of black, mostly because it’s my failsafe color and because, well….just because, I’ll leave it at that. And the second color I found myself drawn towards is gold – I don’t know, maybe something about what I suspect we might see a whole lot more of in the White House.
Whatever your inaugural plans, a bit of chic never hurts:
- Gold, gold, gold: I think this time around, there might not be such a thing as too much gold.
- Black + gold: my two themes together, and look at that amazing hemline…
- Caped crusader: Love this one for the cape effect, which seems like it would keep shoulders warm in some of those vast ball spaces in January
- Hip Jumping: A couple of inaugurations ago, I was a guest at an inaugural party hosted by a major technology company and it was one of the hippest (and most fun) parties I think I’ve ever attended. It didn’t really veer into ball gown territory and this funky number would be perfect for it
- Black and Gold Edge: This is another one that would be perfect for a side cocktail event and those shoulder lines mean business
- Gold on gold: see point #1!
- Trad black: Sometimes foolproof cuts in foolproof colors are the way to go – and tell me you wouldn’t feel like a princess in this
- Fits like a glove: Hugs like only a close fit can, love the shape of this one especially if you have shoulders to show off
Any plans you have for the inauguration?