It’s been a little hard to get my thoughts down all in one place lately…I guess there’s a lot going on. Not in a bad way but in a bit of a conflicting way, in the traditional sense of the word. I can’t figure out much how to frame it elegantly, so here’s a shortlist instead:
- This past week, I went back to work after 14 months of maternity leave (feeling so grateful for the leave and the time with my family and the career flexibility to do that, but anxious about balancing everything with two kiddies solo here)
- Across the past three weeks, we had my husband’s first “r and r” and he was back from Iraq (feeling so happy he was here, to have had the family band back together so to speak, but a bit deflated now that he’s left again today and I’m back to re-learning how to do it on my own)
- This month, I realized we have six months left to go in Copenhagen (feeling curious about our next adventure, but starting to feel rather sentimental about this place and our life here, and the role this place has played for our family)
- Last month, our son turned one (feeling so excited and thrilled about all his new developments, he’s got so much personality and joy, but it makes me sad that the baby days, especially as we are likely only to have two, are over. How did they go by so quickly?)
- A few weeks ago, my father was in a ‘hit and run’ bike accident and left in a ditch on the side of the road (feeling so relieved that he was found quickly. Of all the possible scenarios, he managed to escape only with a huge chunk of his leg missing and a bunch of skin grafts; the alternative could have been a lot worse. But I’m confused (and ashamed) as to how this even happened at home. Accidents happen all the time, but when, WHEN did it become okay to leave people on the side of the road in the US? I just can not wrap my head around it. )
Each one of these is swimming around in my head. Part of me knows that I could type out pages and pages on each individual topic (don’t worry!), but at the same time, when I try to articulate everything involved, the screen, or my voice in real life, comes up blank and quiet. I guess I am simply taking a bit of stock of what’s around us, trying to appreciate what’s here now, knowing it all goes by rather quickly.
But this weekend was the first time too that I realized spring will soon be here – it’s no longer pitch black when I wake up or make the school run… sunshine is coming at some point, that’s for sure. Maybe not right away, and that’s okay, but it’s not far off. There’s something reassuring about that…
PS – I just realized that between yesterday and today, there are two black and white photos up on the blog. I know that it’s not the usual style here in this space (though I use it a lot for me personally); it just kind of turned out that way. We’ll go back to our regularly scheduled color tomorrow!