I don’t know what has been in the air recently but we’ve had a big baby boom amongst our friends and family it seems (don’t believe me? check out baby showers here and here). Since we’ve been in Denmark, it means that I’ve had to branch out a bit for baby gifts, trying out some new and some familiar baby brands for presents for all these newest additions. Here have been my favorite finds so far:
1. SEBRA Toys: My new Danish go-to, this company makes absolutely beautiful toys. Frankly, I would buy them for myself if a thirty something woman buying toys for herself weren’t so weird. These guys are nothing but the classics – pull along toys, knitted play balls, wooden blocks, finger puppets…all in designs that remind me of the toys I had when I was younger.
2. PETIT BATEAU: This French company has been a staple for ages, and they turn out some of the most beautiful and softest cotton wear – perfect for those first months of newborn skin or other sensitive areas. Like any good European product, it can get expensive so when they do their seasonal sales, it’s a good time to stock up on basics.
3. HABA: These colorful toys are such a joy for kids from the earliest ages – and although they’re often made of wood or soft plush, all are non-toxic. When I connect in Munich, there’s a great toy store in the Terminal and it’s a good opportunity to pick up a few gifts. These toys are so beautifully made that even the smallest ones feel special. Also, if you follow mission statements and the corporate social responsibility of brands, Haba has some of the most inspiring principles around.
4. ZIZZZ: This is my latest discovery, which I found when the company actually reached out to me to start a conversation. They’re a new company out of Switzerland, and started when a dad figured out that most sleep sacks were made with a polyester filling. Thinking there must be a better way, he started a line of blankets and sleep sacks made of swiss wool and organic cotton, letting the body self-regulated temparature according to conditions. They feel completely different and the material just makes you want to head to the alps right this second for a nap – I’ve asked the company when I can expect to buy an adult version for myself.
5. LIBERTY: If you’ve been reading or following Instagram for awhile, you’ll know that London is on my “beat” for work a fair amount, and I always try to squeeze in a trip to Liberty of London, even if it’s just for a few minutes. There’s just something about the care and display and curation of that store that I find inspiring every time. In fact, so inspiring that I often forget to actually buy what I’m mesmerized by – however, since they’ve opened up a children’s floor finally, I love to stop by for little Liberty bloomers for the lady babes and bibs for gents as little souvenirs of those timeless fabrics. As a bonus, if you’re not headed to London anytime soon, J.Crew is carrying a line as part of their new baby goods as well so you won’t miss out.
And for those based in Europe or have passed through, what have been your favorites and go-to’s for baby gifts – with so many bundles of joy in our circles, I’m always on the hunt for more!