New season, new bucket list! I looooove lists – in case that wasn’t already apparent. As I mentioned yesterday, I’m okay with moving on to fall this year. Normally, I have a little end of summer sulking session, but this year with the move and all the to’ing and fro’ing, I’m ready to make the change.
Here’s what’s on my list for Fall in DC:
1. Fall fashion lookbooks – the very stylish mind behind This Gringo Honeymoon (formerly Todo de Lujo) turned me on to these years ago when she would determine a fall into fall theme. The original lookbooks were still in powerpoint with carefully handcropped images but she’s since become a polyvore pro. Check out her pics for her theme of biker chic here – mine still to come but hint, it’s going to involve a bit of cheetah.
3. Sign up for the Washington Ballet Season – since we’re on the theme of the arts, ballet is the one I have a soft spot for, and very excited to see Septime Weber’s performance of the newly choreographed Great Gatsby, as well as the rest of our (petite compared to Vienna!) season.
4. Pick some kind of produce – fall…pumpkin patches! apple orchards! gourds! the possibilities are endless – last year, we hit up the Kurbisfestival for Austrian pumpkins and a bit of local color, this year we’ll have to bring diplo-baby along for all the horns of plenty photo ops. A few years ago we tried the Loudoun County Days where we did pumpkins, apples, grapes, and hot chili peppers all in one day.
Image via Pentacles and Pavement.
5. Take in the colors on Skyline Drive – for all of our years in DC, neither diplo-husband nor I have made this drive. If I were more like my brother, I’d think that a motorcycle would be the way to do this but I’m more cautious than that, so family car and maybe a picnic it is.
Image via rd.com
6. Enjoy crabs by the bay on the Eastern Shore – this was on our summer list but we didn’t get to it. And since you can’t actually swim anywhere on the Eastern Shore (at least I wouldn’t), fall seems like a better time anyway – more breeze and more color.
Image via A Chesapeake Journal.
7. Bake cookies! They tell us our kitchen goods will be arriving any day now after taking the slow boat across the Atlantic.
Image via Cooking.com
8. Boots! Gah! Every year I wait too long to buy boots, hoping to catch a good sale and also to be in the right cold weather frame of mind, and every year it’s a debacle. And finding boots that fit me is not so easy – after years of tennis I have the requisite tennis legs, and most boots are made to fit much more lithe calves. And for all the amount of boots out there, it’s remarkably hard to find the right combination of heal, hardware, color, style and fit…not to mention price. This year, as we say in my corporate gig, we need to “pull forward” the search since I not so smartly packed last year’s winner in my shipment still floating around the Atlantic.
9. Take diplo-baby on a hike along the C and O Canal – like Skyline Drive, but on foot. It’s currently flooded I think due to all the rain, but more rain now, means more fall colors later!
Image via Flickr.
10. Have a pumpkin spiced latte – at this point, it’s a collective rite of passage that’s required for blogging, tweeting, photographing and consuming. Also I have a Starbucks gift card I need to use up.